Des Moines PCC (Des Moines, IA)
Date founded: Mid 1980’s
- 2007, 2009 - 2011 – PCC Premier Certificate Bronze Award
- 2008 – PCC Premier Certificate Silver Award
- 2012 – 2021 PCC Premier Certificate Gold Award
- 2016 – 2021 PCC Premier Certificate Platinum Level
Des Moines is a major center of the U.S. insurance industry and has a sizable financial services and publishing business base. In a recent Business Wire® article, the city was credited as the "number one spot for U.S. insurance companies" and named the third largest "Insurance Capital of the World”.
With the above in mind, the Des Moines PCC (DMPCC) programs include educational sessions, mailer clinics, seminars, and bi-monthly “Lunch and Learn” opportunities that keep members up to date with the latest Postal Service products and services. Members also work closely with local Post Office managers to improve mail delivery and increase customer satisfaction.
To stay connected with their PCC members and sponsors, the DMPCC utilized emails and Zoom meetings during the challenging times of the pandemic. They found that Zoom meetings were very beneficial by removing commuting times that would normally take away from a busy workday. With virtual meetings, they were able to meet regularly to get their tasks and goals accomplished, including closely working with their sub-committees.
Late in 2022, while adhering to CDC state and local guidelines, the DMPCC began hosting in-person meetings again. Members expressed how much more personal it is to network with members again and see everyone face to face. Typically, they host three large events each year, with the first being their Annual Golf Outing in which 65 participants enjoyed a little fun in the sun, as well as educational programming content. Next up, their annual Holiday Event allowed the DMPCC the perfect opportunity to thank their members for their continued support, and celebrate successes achieved throughout the year. Over 60 members and guests enjoyed a scrumptious steak dinner while relaxing and networking with colleagues and friends. That was followed by a lot of laughter and fun as special guest host Comedian Doug Thomas entertained the crowd. This wonderful holiday celebration was held at the beautiful Des Moines Botanical Gardens which provided warmth, nature, and beauty to the otherwise frigid winter weather. Finally, one of the DMPCC’s most recent events held in January 2022, was an Educational Breakfast featuring the 2022 USPS Price Changes at the local Machine Shed Restaurant, with 50 plus attendees.
After much success, the Des Moines PCC is enthusiastic and looking forward to hosting many more in-person events in 2022, as well as growing their membership.
Established Committees: Membership, Events and Education.
The Des Moines PCC is currently led by:
- Postal Co-Chair – Richard Foust Jr., Postmaster, Des Moines, IA Post Office, IA-NE-SD District
- Industry Co-Chair – Steve Hosper, Senior Project Manager at Mittera
- Postal Administrator – Natalie Welter, USPS Customer Relations Coordinator, IA-NE-SD District
- Mark Talbott, USPS District Manager, IA-NE-SD District
Some fun facts about the Des Moines area that you may not know are:
- Between the years of 1942 and 2009, a city ordinance made dancing illegal between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- The Des Moines Blank Park Zoo became home to a third red panda, Razz, in 2012. It is estimated that there are only about 2,500 to 20,000 red pandas left in the wild.
- The Iowa State Capital’s dome contains roughly 100 ounces of gold.
- Opened in 1901, Des Moines’ Waveland Golf Course is the oldest municipal golf course in the country west of the Mississippi river.
- Des Moines was originally named Fort Raccoon. It then became Fort Des Moines, and finally, in 1857, was shortened to Des Moines.
For more information on the PCC, please visit their website at: dmpcc.com.